Day 141: "You lose the beauty when you say you have it."

Today felt like it was comprised of more hours than usual. Despite my eternal splitting headache, I enjoyed an eventful and truly enjoyable day.

I read my morning sonnet before getting to work planning a sliptrail "workshop" for Ms. Cardone's advisory. With my lesson for them prepared, I proceeded to my appointment with Mr. Chang to review the Latin exam I took on Day 106. My translations were not bad overall, so we could spend time discussing the nuances of verbiage in Catullan and Horatian poetry (how I miss Latin class!) -- but my multiple choice has not improved much since high school. Eheu!

During Long Advisory, I got to conduct the aforementioned workshop. It was awesome to have new people working on decorating the bowls, and the Cardone advisory is an artsy bunch! I think the activity went very well.


When they left, Ms. Cardone taught me to apply a layer of clear glaze over my underglaze designs. Clearly, this went very well.

Apron-donning is among my many Ceramics-related downfalls.

After lunch with my dear Varlets, it was time for an all-school gathering in honor of Founder's Day. Mama Maddox asked me to perform with the choir, which I did, before Mrs. Mrykalo, Mr. Holloway, and Ms. Hulke were recognized for their outstanding service to the school. Congratulations, teachers!

Too impatient to wait for a bus to return us to our campus after the ceremony, Brother Zane and I decided to walk back up. On the way, Zane filled me in on his life story. Mad respect for this guy.


I rushed inside, back to the studio, to welcome another much-awaited group helping with Empty Bowls -- writers and editors of the Literary Magazine! It was great to have all this new energy in our workspace, and humbling to hear their appreciation of the bowls I have been constructing over these past few weeks.


When they left and we had cleaned up, it was off to Certamen practice for me! After playing some questions against the Upper Level students, I took the Level II team to another room and read questions for them. I particularly liked the set of questions I happened upon today, as they allowed for lots of fun grammatical and etymological tidbits. Euge!

Words like requiesco are now called INCEPTION verbs.

Soon after I arrived home, my beautiful sister Iman picked me up for our evening family reunion! She and I met Zane at Tysons, where we enjoyed a leisurely (read: three-hour) dinner at Coastal Flats. By the time we had completed our respective salads and suffered eight rounds of refills (Coke for me, Diet Coke for Iman, classy club soda for Zane), I felt like I had been on a twelve-day retreat with these guys.

The evening had many highlights, but Zane's and my favorite would have to be when we spent minutes and minutes of our waiter's time squabbling over whose cell phone would take the best quality photograph of us (mind you, we all have the same kind of phone), only to find later in the night that Iman had been carrying her mother's semi-professional camera around in her purse the whole time. Too funny.


We learned so much about one another tonight and just had such great discussion (I was definitely not this smart at their age) that leaving for India is going to be hard for me now because I am going to miss them so much! I love my sibs.

Cold snow falls all around us here in Northern Virginia, and yet I feel nothing but warmth. Blessings to you all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bygones -- by Marina Keegan

Day 97: I might steal your clothes and wear them if they fit me.

This is my smoke signal!