Day 41: My days are numbered. :)

It is interesting to observe the modes of enjoyment/enrichment employed by one when ill.

My day started with Sonnet 41 and a series of glorious e-mails. One was from Rodrigo Uncle, one from Cyprian Uncle, and one from Aimee Marich. Aimee is like a sister to me, and we went through tons together in high school. Our most recent hobby was to sit in our Biology and Environmental Science classes, enraptured by the adventures Mr. Chanania would describe, and make a list of all the cool things we would do after we graduated. The list includes everything from visiting Appledore Island to starting a science-inspired clothing line. Aimee wrote to me last night saying she has been reading my blog "religiously" and thinks "taking a gap year is possibly the coolest and best idea ever." I'll try not to quote any more of her incredibly special message, but it has been duly added to my Happy Box along with a few other missives I received while in Brasil. I told her that my adventures this year are only an appetizer for all the awesome things we are going to do together in college and beyond.


It's interesting what a mixed bag life is. I learned today that Jagjit Uncle passed away yesterday. Jagjit Singh is one of India's most celebrated singers and one of our family's closest friends. I did not know him nearly as well as I would have liked to, but what I do know is that he was "even more humble than he was famous" (Mama). Jagjit Uncle sang ghazals, our family's favorite type of song, an Indian semi-classical style which I had just recently started to appreciate and understand. In Papa's words, "all his ghazals have become a priceless treasure for us now." My heart goes out to Chitra Auntie, who had already lost a son and a daughter before this tragedy. All I can do is pray for her. In this bleak time, it is heartening to think that Jagjit Uncle was always able to express himself to the fullest, and left such a library of gems behind for us to enjoy and remember him by.


This afternoon, I heard from my cousin Banka that my cousin Nippi (his sister) got officially engaged today! It was a beautiful ceremony and her wedding will be taking place on January 29th -- while I am in India -- so I will be able to go! Indian marriages are unbelievably fun, and I look forward to attending one of such a close family member in my hometown!


When my love Priya came home, we worked on our cover of Adele's "Someone Like You" for a while. (This was interesting considering what my voice sounds like right now.) Yale's Sam Tsui has recorded a version which is quite excellent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Y4XApnyG8.

After watching a bit of Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara, it's bedtime for Ratna.

I find it hard to believe that just 2 nights ago, this Girl from Ipanema was rinsing herself of sand from the beach. Beijos to all my friends in Brasil!

Comments

  1. thanks for making me see a tribe.....diverse people (patricia in particular-she was inspirational)...nature and other things......in sum i enjoyed brazil(an also learnt to see at things from a new perspective)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bygones -- by Marina Keegan

Day 97: I might steal your clothes and wear them if they fit me.

This is my smoke signal!